The New Year is the perfect time to start eating a little smarter. If your New Year’s Resolution involves living a healthier lifestyle then follow our guidelines for 10 foods to swap in 2016. These alternatives will help jumpstart the new you!
- Skip the Sour and Go Greek: Switch out sour cream for Greek yogurt. Not only will you be reducing the amount of fat you take in, you’ll also be increasing your protein.
- Pop a Frozen Treat: Love cool treats? Buy fresh grapes and put them in the freezer. Anytime you’re craving something cold and sweet, pop a few frozen grapes!
- Wheat Can’t Be Beat: When it comes to choosing pasta – pick whole wheat. It’s filled with antioxidants and fiber.
- Cinnamon as a Spice is Twice as Nice: Do you put sugar in your coffee? Try cinnamon instead. It’s sweet and has fewer calories.
- Get Lean and Mean with Your Greens: Choose spinach instead of iceberg lettuce. Chock full of vitamin A and C, plus iron and magnesium, spinach is the perfect base for any salad.
- Olive Oil & Twist: Use olive oil with a twist of lemon or lime instead of salad dressings or butter. It has much less saturated fat.
- Seafood Swap: Swap an occasional steak for salmon. It has less saturated fat and plenty of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
- Cauli-Flower Power: Instead of mashed potatoes – give mashed cauliflower a try. One serving is packed with almost a full day’s worth of vitamin C.
- Aw, Nuts: Almonds and walnuts are great choice when you want to get protein into your diet. Try a handful instead of a candy bar.
- An Apple a Day Keeps the Doctor Away: Love cheese and crackers for a snack? Use apple slices instead to reduce fat and increase the nutrients you take in.
While eating healthy is important, you can still enjoy an occasional sweet treat or salty snack. But remember moderation is key!
Wishing you a happy, healthy 2016!
SHOP ‘n SAVE